The Parish Church of Saint Andrew, around which the town of Carrara developed, is mentioned for the first time in a notary’s deed dated 1035.
It is built entirely of marble, and was realized in several phases.
Of the original building, built at the end of the eleventh century, some sculptures and the portal with the capitals remain.
This was followed by a second phase of construction (around the middle of the 12th century) in Romanesque style, evidence of which can be seen in the internal colonnade and in the lower parts of the façade and side walls.
The top part of the facade, with the fine portico with stepped arches and the impressive rosette, is Gothic (second half of the fourteenth century). The rectangular layout with a semicircular apse has three naves. The central nave is significantly higher and has a trussed roof, while the lateral naves have cross vaults.
Sources and References Index
APT Massa Carrara, http://www.aptmassacarrara.it/eng/page.asp?IDCategoria=419&IDSezione=2949&ID=67876
see also.. other works of art
hotels in Carrara
activity in Carrara
accommodations in Tuscany by itinerary
to book Carrara
advertising in Carrara